Thursday 20 June 2013

A jolly good rummage



Having indulged myself by blogging about my fabric hoard, the only logical next step was to pull some of them off the shelves and have a jolly good rummage.


This was rummage No 1, centred around the bold purple lotus design and the yellow and magenta to its left - fabrics I bought at the same time, loving the unashamed complementary colours that almost vibrate in juxtaposition.

At the bottom right is one of my all-time favourite fabrics, an audacious cerise floral against acid yellow with unequivocal slashes of black. But perhaps it is the story I love almost as much: I bought it many years ago from a street market in Florence - not by the yard or the metre, but by the kilo!

Below: Out go the lotuses and in come more traditional, but just as purple pansies. But as always happens when I'm collecting fabrics to make a quilt, it is the very last one that creates the problems. There are only eight fabrics and I need nine. The small mauve spot is OK, but OK isn't good enough.






The mauve spot is replaced by a trusty Kaffe Fasset floral. But, oh dear, am I finally becoming a bit bored with this? I'm beginning to miss the lotus, and the excitement that it seemed to offer. I shall sleep on it.....


And in the meantime, there's rummage No 2. Having tried before to choose a muted, understated palette, I shall try again with the greys and soft browns that I promised myself - see post of February 28.

Well, the browns didn't last again. Probably because I've only got one brown, so what did I expect. The vintage-style print in the bottom left also gets pulled out time after time but is never used.


I apologise for the presence of my cat, who has wandered uninvited into this blog - which in my view is no place for a fluffy animal - and refuses to leave. But I may as well introduce you: this is Milhouse, who sits on fabrics, eats earplugs and bites. Say hello Milhouse, then run along like a good chap and do something useful like catch bluebottles.


The "vintage" fabric, true to form, doesn't fit in. But I love the red, pink and green accents. So another mini-rummage brings out two floral fabrics - very muted for me. But I've still only got eight designs....

And here's the missing ingredient, below. Taking off my new dip-dyed, pink and floral shirt last night, I realised it was the perfect design. Except that it's chiffon. And a shirt. And I like wearing it.

I have used cotton fabrics from clothes in my quilts before - and I'm happy to make up "memory quilts" for people from their children's or their own clothing - but I don't think I can beat a friend who chopped up an expensive Dolce & Gabbana scarf because it happened to be just right for her latest project.


PLEASE NOTE: I have added a button that will keep you informed by email when I post a new blog. Which will mean that I don't have to phone up everyone to let them know. Just fill in your email address and submit.
My website address is now also on a tab - please visit it if  you've not already done so, for details of quilts for sale plus how to commission one in your choice of colours and size.

Visit my website at www.valeriehugginsquilts.co.uk
....................................................................................
Handmade textiles for stylish interiors, off the shelf or to commission

email: valerie@valeriehugginsquilts.co.uk; 020 7515 0701 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 020 7515 0701 FREE  end_of_the_skype_highlighting; 07518 885960









No comments:

Post a Comment