Sunday 19 May 2013

Spot the difference



Only a week or so before the Prism exhibition, Liminal, opens in central London, so here's an update on the picture I posted earlier, right, of a detail of my entry - now with slight changes. Gone are the pesky red roses and the lion's human eyes (both hangovers from previous projects that I wanted to make work but couldn't) and now there are various types of sequins and small beads. But, most importantly, there is now stitching.

And as always I'm amazed at the difference it can make, adding movement and uniting the disparate elements. It's probably heresy to say I don't really enjoy the nuts and bolts of stitching (and this involved a lot of machine applique with invisible thread just to hold it all in place). But I find the result of the more decorative stitching so exciting - here, and especially in quilting - that it draws me ever onwards.

This is just one of four pieces that make up my installation. And I am just one of 50 textile artists exhibiting. Should be fun.




Visit my website at www.valeriehugginsquilts.co.uk
....................................................................................
Handmade textiles for stylish interiors, off the shelf or to commission

email: valerie@valeriehugginsquilts.co.uk; 020 7515 0701 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 020 7515 0701 FREE  end_of_the_skype_highlighting; 07518 885960

No comments:

Post a Comment