Wednesday 1 May 2013

Show and tell (but not much to show)




I've been really busy. But I haven't got much to show for it. I was reaching for a metaphor, but the off-the-shelf one of the swan frantically paddling underwater doesn't really work, as it implies a serene gliding across the surface. I am reminded more of the bluetit that took up residence in our nesting box last spring, sitting on a clutch of eggs while endlessly fussing about getting enough to eat and keeping the nest clean. None of the eggs showed any sign of being at all interesting until they hatched almost simultaneously.

So, what am I sitting on, carefully nurturing towards a semblance of independent life?

Firstly, my entry for Prism, the textile show later this month at the Mall Gallery in central London.  The flyer is above, but for more information  see  http://www.prismtextiles.co.uk/index.html Please come. There are so few contemporary, professional-standard textile exhibitions that this really does deserve to be supported. And I say that on behalf of all my fellow textile artists, even if you hate what I do personally.

My installation (I dislike that word, but it's useful) is coming on apace and has evolved from the bare bones of the sneak preview on my posting of April 13. And I have to say I'm quite excited. I don't suppose anyone will ever buy it - what would one do with a series of four pillows? - but sometimes you just have to let loose the inner creative demon.

Secondly, the wallhanging to commemorate my aunt. This too is mega exciting, but more of this later. Suffice to say that I have come across a cache of her own textile and wallpaper designs from the Sixties and I am hoping to get them printed on fabric via Spoonflower. http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

Thirdly, there's  a new design for a bed quilt that's ready to roll and  the Beast is foaming at the mouth wanting to quilt it.

I wish I didn't have to waste time sleeping.

(Sadly, the bluetits have not come back this year. But, as the young lad next door pointed out, why would you choose a house with a camera in the bedroom and toilet? To which there is no answer.)


Visit my website at www.valeriehugginsquilts.co.uk
....................................................................................
Handmade textiles for stylish interiors, off the shelf or to commission

email: valerie@valeriehugginsquilts.co.uk; 020 7515 0701 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 020 7515 0701 FREE  end_of_the_skype_highlighting; 07518 885960

No comments:

Post a Comment